Management and Development of the Confidential Informant
Hosted by the Hernando Police Department, Hernando, Mississippi – March 5-6, 2024
Course Duration: 16 Hours Max. Number of Students: 40
Instructional Setting: Classroom
Instructor: James C. Lilley, Lt. (Retired), Major Level Narcotics DEA Task Force Agent Dean Bishop, Deputy Commander 15th Circuit Drug Enforcement Unit
COURSE DESCRIPTION: This course provides law enforcement personnel with the basic knowledge necessary to identify, develop, and manage individuals for utilization as confidential informants in order to initiate and enhance criminal investigations.
- The purpose of confidential informants.
- The different categories of confidential informants.
- Identifying an individual as a possible confidential informant.
- What motivates an individual to become a confidential informant?
- Importance of conducting a complete criminal background check.
- What is a risk assessment and the importance of conducting one?
- Role of confidential informants – types of investigations.
- Debriefing of confidential informants – types of debriefing – how often.
- How to properly document a confidential informant - confidential informant file.
- Storage of confidential informant files – who should have access?
- Confidential informant file reviews – how often – what level of supervision?
- Confidential informants – department assets – not personal property.
- Sharing confidential informants – within the department - other agencies.
- Importance of giving confidential informants clear and understandable direction.
- Passing information through the confidential informant – needs to be verifiable.
- When to take (cut) the confidential informant out of the investigation.
- Protecting the confidential informants identify.
- Being honest with the confidential informant – not over promising.
- Confidential informant payments – rewards.
- Importance of keeping informed of confidential informant’s activities and whereabouts.
- Negative results and dangers of unprofessional management of confidential informants.
- Maintaining a professional relationship – dangers to safety and career for not doing so.
- Officer safety – things to always do – things to never do!
- When to terminate a confidential informant.
INSTRUCTIONAL GOAL: This course is designed to provide basic skills, knowledge and techniques to aid the law enforcement officer/criminal investigator in acquiring, managing and developing individuals for utilization as a confidential informant. At the end of the course law enforcement officers/criminal investigators will have received the necessary information to successfully utilize an individual in the role of a confidential informant and know the importance of proper confidential informant management. The course will also instill the pitfalls that may (and often do) occur when professional boundaries are not established or maintained. Effective confidential informant management and development is a critical element in the investigation, arrest, and ultimate prosecution of criminal suspects and organizations.
Global Police Solutions, LLC is an approved and recognized provider of Advanced Law Enforcement Training in the United States and Abroad. Global Police Solutions; Professional Training for Today’s Law Enforcement.
“Professional Training for Today’s Law Enforcement”
Call Us Toll Free At: 855-4GPSTRAINING
|Event Date||03-05-2024 8:00 am|
|Event End Date||03-06-2024 5:00 pm|
|Registration Start Date||08-03-2023|
|Cut off date||03-01-2024|
|Location||Hernando Police Department|